Franklin Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Magnet is a personalized program within a comprehensive high school campus. We offer a thematic, rigorous education to Los Angeles students from variety of backgrounds. We offer a STEM focus in our core and elective science and math classes, while in the humanities we incorporate STEM-aligned instructional strategies and projects. We offer many opportunities for students to apply their learning outside the classroom in extracurricular activities and internships aligned with the STEM pathway. Our faculty works diligently to ensure all students reach their highest levels of achievement, and our students have thrived both academically and in their applications of their learning of STEM concepts.
Franklin Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics Magnet (STEM)
The mission of Franklin STEM Magnet is that our graduates will apply the 21st century skill sets of critical thinking, collaboration, real world application, and communication to succeed in all disciplines while also preparing for a career in a STEM field.
Students will exhibit creative and critical thinking skills such as: interpretation and viewing complex problems from multiple perspectives,
Students will demonstrate collaborative teamwork and consensus building in their interactions with their peers, teachers, and STEM and community partners.
Students will explore real world problems or concerns and apply scientific methods of thinking to create solutions.
Students will communicate their learning in multiple settings and actively be involved in using their STEM education to better the world around them.
The vision of the Franklin STEM Magnet is to empower all students, as lifelong learners, to apply relevant and meaningful knowledge and skills necessary for college and STEM career readiness in the 21st century and success in an increasingly global and technological world.
The Franklin STEM Magnet was established in 1981 as part of Los Angeles Unified School District’s effort to give students and parents a choice in attending more diverse and thematically focused schools. Though we are located in Northeast Los Angeles, in the neighborhood of Highland Park, as a Magnet, we also serve students who are from other neighborhoods such as: Cypress Park, Glassell Park, Downtown Los Angeles, Mid-Wilshire, East Los Angeles, South Gate, Maywood, Huntington Park, and South Los Angeles. We have an enrollment capacity of 400 students. For the past eight years, we have been at or close to capacity each norm day. Approximately 70% of our students live in the attendance boundaries for Franklin High School while the other 30% of our students live in other areas and commute to Franklin Magnet by Office of Student Integration buses, the Metro, or parent-provided transportation.
Our Franklin Magnet Program has a long, proud history at Franklin High School. Our mission has been to provide a rigorous academic experience for students within a more diverse setting while also encouraging students to be involved in the school community and in their own communities. As our program has grown and improved, we have established a track record of success that makes it an attractive option for parents and students looking for a school with both a strong academic and extracurricular program.
Academically, we excel. Students were tested on Common Core standards this year with the Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium (SBAC) and the results rank our Magnet program as one of the top 5% of high schools in all of LAUSD. Before the SBAC test our California Standards Test (CST) scores consistently outperformed the district and the state averages. In addition, for the past 4 years the Superintendent identified Franklin Magnet as an "Excelling School" based on the School Performance Framework, the highest rank a school could receive.
Moreover, our extracurricular program is robust, over 60% of our students are involved in extra-curricular activities such as a clubs or academic teams, 45% participate in sports and 30% are active in leadership.
A testament of Franklin Magnet’s success is in our students’ college acceptance rates. Over the past few years, Franklin Magnet students were accepted to the following prestigious institutions: Harvard, Yale, MIT, Princeton, University of Chicago, Stanford, Brandeis, Columbia, Brown, Wellesley, Boston, Amherst, Carnegie-Mellon, NYU, Georgetown, Dartmouth, Bowdoin, Duke, Emery, USC, Occidental, Pomona, Loyola Marymount, Vassar, Smith, Trinity, Wheaton, Brigham Young University Utah & Idaho, Claremont McKenna, Mount St. Mary’s, University of the Pacific, Harvey Mudd, University of La Verne, UCLA, UCSB, UCSD, UC Berkeley, UC Irvine, UCSC, UC Merced, UC Riverside, UC Davis, Cal Poly Pomona, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, CSULA, CSUDH, CSUCI, CSU Northridge, CSU Fullerton, CSU East Bay, CSUSF as well as other universities and community colleges.