The Early Years
The school opened on February 17, 1916 in one half of the second floor of the old Monte Vista Elementary School. The school enrolled 225 students with a faculty of 115.
The classes were held several in each room. A sewing class was held on a balcony. All were very happy and excited about the new school. In May 1 of that year, the students planned a May Fiesta. All the students' parade up Ave 54 to the new building that was under construction. On April 3, 1916 the science building was completed and all moved into it. Classes were still very cramped and three classes going on at one time in room 220. The assemblies were held in the cafeteria. All of the speakers stood on soap-boxes to address their audience. Presentations were also made from the soap-boxes in the cafeteria. The physical education classes were held in room 102 and consisted of exercises and basketball drills. The basketball was loaned by one of the students. The first principal was Dr. Charles B. Moore. In September of 1916 Miss Edith Hodgkins had become the first Vice-Principal and there were added to the original faculty of the following:
- Mrs. Margaret Anderson, Clothing
- Mr. Andrew Bjurman, Woodworking and Drawing
- Mr. John Dodge, Chemistry and Geometry
- Mr. John Gentner, Book-keeping and English
- Mr. William Keyes, Mathematics
- Miss. Laura Morriman, Spanish
- Miss. Viola Stevens, Librarian
- Miss. Raen Beltzley, Commercial
The following was written in 1916. "Even though space was limited and many hardships had to be endured, The Franklin Spirit became a real thing a flourished. All of the students worked together as a unit for the good of the school. They made the spirit. Through them, it was kept alive. In every thing they did, they set up a precedent for the future student bodies to follow."
The Spanish Club was organized. It was the first club to be organized at Franklin and grew out of a desire on the part of students of Spanish to enhance the pleasure and profit from their study of the language. Meeting occurred twice a month and were open to the school as a whole.
|Important Dates of the Year|
|April 3, 1916||Moved into Science building|
|April 14, 1916||First Student Body Election|
|May 1, 1916||First may Festival|
|May 15, 1916||Moved into the Administration Building|
|May 29, 1916||Blue and Buff adapted as the school colors|
|June 28, 1916||Formal Dedication|